Monday, September 8, 2008

Composition

(Blogger doesn't show paragraphs, so I'll leave a line between paragraphs instead. I could use non-breaking spaces, but I can't be bothered)


I love cycling. It has been my hobby since I was a young kid. But now, every time I cycle, I always think about the horrible calamity I had witnessed...

Punching the telephone numbers into the telephone, I called Ben and Jerry, my two best friends, and invited them to go cycling with me at East Coast Park. They agreed and we decided to meet up at one O' clock, after lunch. There, we rented three bicycles for six dollars. We were allowed to use the bicycles for up to three hours. We formed a single file and started cycling towards the expressway.

Suddenly, when we were near the expressway, we heard a ear-splitting "boom". Our curiosity was piqued and we cycled towards the source of the "boom" to investigate. And then the cause of the "boom" was apparent. A mangled wreck of two motorcycles was barely recognisable. The drivers were quite a distance away from the wreck, probably flung there by the force of the collision. One driver was getting to his feet, barely conscious, but the other was seriously injured. His limbs were twisted back at a grotesque angle, and shards from his safety helmet's visor pierced his face. A large pool of crimson liquid was also forming around his body, a result of his severed arteries.

I stood dumbstruck for a moment, then dialled '995' from my handphone. The ambulances took around five minutes to arrive. They raced down the expressway to the slip road where the motorcycles had crashed. Paramedics exited their vehicles and strapped the barely conscious motorist to a stretcher while hooking the almost-dead driver to an aritficial respirator and then carrying him onto another stretcher. Then, both motorists were hurried into an ambulance and it sped away.

Another ambulance had not left yet. The paramedics inside commended me for helping to inform them about the accident.

"If you did not inform us, the patients' outcome would might have been very different," a paramedic told me.

Warmth filled my body as I learnt that I might have saved a person's life. Suddenly, Ben asked, "Can we go with you to see the patients?" The paramedics did not have a problem with that. We returned our bicycles and headed to the hospital where the injured motorists were warded.

At the hospital, we visited the two motorcyclists. The barely conscious on thanked me for my help. As for the other motorcyclist, he had not died and his quick admission to hospital prevented him from losing too much blood. The doctors thanked me on his behalf.

"Curiosity killed the cat", the old adage goes. I absolutely disagree, as it is the result of my curiosity that saved a person's life.

No comments: